England can take one other important step in the direction of subsequent 12 months’s World Cup in Qatar after they face Hungary at Wembley on Tuesday night.
Gareth Southgate’s facet sit 4 factors away from second-placed Albania in Group I following their 5-0 win away to Andorra on Saturday and one other victory again at Wembley would put them on the point of qualification.
England will have to wait till the November worldwide break to make sure of their place at subsequent 12 months’s match no matter outcomes on Tuesday, but the momentum is with them following one other robust qualification marketing campaign.
- World Cup Qualifiers stay on Sky Sports
- World Cup Qualifying tables | Fixtures
- Get NOW to stream the massive moments
Is Foden’s future in midfield?
There isn’t a lot to be gleaned from a gathering with a facet ranked 156th in the world but the win over Andorra did not less than enable Phil Foden to make his case for a beginning berth in central midfield.
The 21-year-old has been used totally on the flanks by each Pep Guardiola and Southgate since his senior breakthrough for membership and nation but his future has lengthy been seen in midfield and his efficiency towards Andorra supplied a glimpse of why.
- Wijnaldum: Situation at PSG isn’t what I needed
- Whyte: WBC should ‘power’ Fury to battle me
- Froch: I would not be stunned if Fury retires
- Bruce edging in the direction of exit, Staveley meets supervisor & squad
- WCQ round-up: Werner double as Germany qualify for Qatar
- Newcastle switch rumours: Toon plot Man Utd raid
- Button: Explaining Hamilton frustration and ‘good’ Bottas
- Messi nets record-breaking purpose; Brazil held
- Brundle: Hamilton’s mistake in F1 technique fiasco
- World Cup 2022 Euro Qualifiers: State of play
Foden was the excellent performer at Andorra’s National Stadium, his deeper position permitting him to dictate the sport and showcase his wonderful passing vary as he repeatedly despatched England ahead on the assault.
Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane likened him to legendary NFL quarterback Tom Brady – “he’s just picking people out… he’s making it look so easy,” he stated – whereas Southgate was equally impressed.
“It’s fabulously exciting, isn’t it?” stated the England boss afterwards. “When you are trying to break down a defence as we were tonight, and you’ve got a player who can see the passes he sees and can execute them in the way that he did.”
The query now’s whether or not Foden’s efficiency will persuade Southgate to give him one other probability in central midfield towards stronger opposition on Tuesday.
England’s beginning line-up is probably going to look very totally different towards Hungary but with Kalvin Philipps absent due to harm, there may be a gap in the staff alongside Declan Rice.
Southgate might go for Jordan Henderson’s expertise as an alternative but with Foden now growing physicality alongside his innate technical capacity, it is probably not lengthy till the Manchester City star takes up a central position for England extra incessantly.
“He is getting stronger so it is exciting for us that one of those midfield positions might be a possibility,” added Southgate.
Who fills in for Maguire?
Southgate insists John Stones isn’t prone to dropping his England place regardless of struggling for taking part in time with Manchester City.
Stones has not performed a single minute for Guardiola’s facet this season but he has began three of England’s final 4 video games, together with Saturday’s win over Andorra, and Southgate doesn’t have any considerations over his lack of motion at membership degree.
John Stones and Harry Maguire have turn into England's first-choice centre-back pairing
“John, when he goes back [to City], will have many games,” he stated this week. “Everybody knows his quality so he will be in the team and I don’t think that will be an issue going forward.”
His early withdrawal towards Andorra suggests Southgate needed to keep him recent for the Hungary sport but with Harry Maguire unavailable due to a calf downside, the id of his centre-back associate at Wembley stays to be seen.
Conor Coady will hope to keep his place following a tidy exhibiting towards Andorra but the Wolves man was hardly ever examined defensively and the identical is true of Fikayo Tomori, who performed the ultimate half hour of that sport, solely his second for England, having changed Stones.
Will Tyrone Mings associate John Stones towards Hungary?
That leaves Tyrone Mings as probably the most real looking choice for Southgate. The Aston Villa man is left-footed, that means he provides a unique dimension to England’s different centre-back choices, and he has already constructed up appreciable expertise having gained 14 worldwide caps since his debut in 2019.
Another chance for Southgate could be to change to a again three but England haven’t used that system since their 2-0 win over Germany throughout Euro 2020. A defensive axis of Stones and Mings appears extra doubtless.
Kane up entrance but who helps him?
Harry Kane is predicted to return up entrance after Tammy Abraham was given the chance to impress towards Andorra and there are quite a few gamers vying for the positions both facet of him.
England's Harry Kane was an unused substitute towards Andorra
Jack Grealish and Raheem Sterling are maybe the favourites to begin having been named on the bench on Saturday but they aren’t the one ones in competition.
Bukayo Saka scored on his twentieth birthday towards Andorra final month and located the web towards the identical opponent on Saturday. The well-liked Arsenal winger continues to set up himself at worldwide degree having impressed on England’s run to the ultimate at Euro 2020.
The match ended in heartbreak for Saka, in fact, his missed penalty proving decisive in the shootout defeat to Italy, but he has responded impressively to that setback and there have been indicators of restoration in Jadon Sancho’s efficiency on Saturday too.
The former Borussia Dortmund winger has endured a tough begin to life at Manchester United following his £73m change in the summer time but he offered two assists towards Andorra and there was reward from Southgate afterwards, the England boss asking for endurance as he finds his ft at Old Trafford.
Bukayo Saka scored his third purpose for England towards Andorra
“For a young player to have such a big change in his life, new league, new club, different style of play, different training regime, back living in Manchester, moving house and everything that’s involved in that, that’s a lot to take in,” he stated.
“It’s going to need time but he showed a lot of the qualities that he has [against Andorra] and I know that will come with the club as well.”
Whether it is as a starter or from the bench, Sancho, like Saka, will hope to impress once more towards Hungary.
Opta stats – England’s qualifying prowess
- England have gained their final 21 dwelling main match qualifiers, scoring 73 targets and conceding seven since a 1-1 draw with the Ukraine in September 2012.
- England have solely been defeated as soon as throughout their final 54 main match qualifying matches (W43 D10), with that defeat coming away to Czech Republic in October 2019. England have scored 40 targets whereas conceding solely twice in such matches since that defeat.
- Thirty-six of Harry Kane’s 41 England targets have come in aggressive internationals. Only Wayne Rooney (37) has ever scored extra targets in aggressive video games for England than Kane. Rooney scored one each 154 minutes, whereas Kane is averaging one each 118 minutes.
- Bukayo Saka scored on his twentieth birthday in his final look at Wembley for England towards Andorra – aged 20 years and 37 days. He might turn into the youngest England participant to rating in consecutive appearances at Wembley, breaking the file at present held by Jimmy Greaves (20y 249d in October 1960).
- Harry Kane has scored 9 targets in 13 appearances for England in 2021. Should he rating once more, he would turn into solely the second participant to have scored 10 or extra targets in multiple calendar 12 months for the Three Lions, having scored 12 in 2019. The different was Vivian Woodward, who scored 10 in 1908 and 11 in 1909.
- England are unbeaten in their final 14 matches towards Hungary in all competitions (W12 D2) since dropping 2-1 on the 1962 World Cup beneath Walter Winterbottom.
- Hungary have misplaced 9 of their 10 away matches towards England – their different was a well-known 6-3 win at Wembley in November 1953 in which Nandor Hidegkuti scored a hat-trick and the Three Lions conceded six targets at Wembley for what stays the one time.
When can England qualify?
England want simply two extra wins to ensure of qualification for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar following Saturday’s 5-0 victory over Andorra.
Gareth Southgate’s facet are 4 factors away from second-placed Albania on the high of Group I after seven matches, with simply three fixtures left to play.
England host fourth-placed Hungary on Tuesday evening, but even when they win at Wembley and Albania lose at dwelling to third-in-the-table Poland the identical night, that may not affirm the Three Lions’ passage to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
England then end their qualifying marketing campaign by entertaining Albania on November 12 when three factors would assure them high spot in the group, earlier than travelling to bottom-of-the-table San Marino three days later.
However, with solely high spot that means qualification, there may be nonetheless little margin for error – significantly on condition that reaching Qatar with a second-place end isn’t simple.
How to observe England’s World Cup Qualifiers
England tackle Hungary at Wembley on Tuesday October 12 (kick-off 7.45pm) and also you can observe the sport by way of our stay minute-by-minute on each the Sky Sports app and web site, with free match highlights additionally out there on each platforms from 11pm.
The free-to-watch highlights will be out there on the Sky Sports web site and app, in addition to the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel, from 11pm.
Win £250,000 with Super 6!
Another Saturday, one other probability to win £250,000 with Super 6. Play without spending a dime, entries by 3pm.