Axel Tuanzebe’s own goal earned Leicester a 2-2 draw with Manchester United to guarantee they continue to be above them in second spot.
Bruno Fernandes’ 79th-minute goal had looked to have maintained United’s 100 per cent away file this season however Tuanzebe deflected in Jamie Vardy’s strike to stage it up on 85 minutes.
Marcus Rashford’s opener (23) had earlier been cancelled out by Harvey Barnes (31) earlier than the interval in what was an evenly-balanced contest between Liverpool’s closest rivals within the title race.
- How the groups lined up | Match stats
- Premier League desk | Premier League high scorers
- Premier League fixtures | Premier League outcomes
Rashford had an exquisite alternative to give Manchester United the lead inside the primary two minutes solely to head Fernandes’ left-wing cross over from point-blank vary.
The England ahead didn’t have to wait too lengthy to open the scoring, nonetheless, this time slotting the ball past Kasper Schmeichel after Fernandes diverted it into his path.
- Bruno has me tearing my hair out, jokes Ole
- Hits and misses: Cavani makes case for beginning berth
- Lampard fumes at ‘lazy’ Chelsea; Arteta hails turning level
- Young trio reinvigorate Arsenal
- More than a title on the road as World Champs return
- Wolves to search for Jimenez alternative
- Ronaldo is greatest Premier League switch
- Tuanzebe own goal offers Leicester level towards Man Utd
- Why AJ vs Ortiz did not occur
- PDC World Darts Championship: Draw, outcomes, schedule
Marcus Rashford makes it 1-0 for Manchester United towards Leicester
That help for the Portugal midfielder, adopted by his goal, means he has now been concerned in 31 of the 60 United objectives scored within the Premier League since his arrival in January.
Leicester: Schmeichel (7); Justin (7), Fofana (7), Evans (6), Castagne (7); Ndidi (7), Tielemans (7); Albrighton (6), Maddison (6), Barnes (7); Vardy (7)
Subs: Perez (7)
Man Utd: De Gea (6); Lindelof (6), Bailly (6), Maguire (6), Shaw (7); McTominay (6), Fred (6); Fernandes (7); Rashford (7), Martial (6), James (6)
Subs: Pogba (6), Tuanzebe (6) Cavani (7)
Man of the match: Bruno Fernandes
Unfortunately for Fernandes, the midfielder was additionally concerned in Leicester’s equaliser quickly after when he surrendered possession on the sting of his own penalty field.
James Maddison duly fed the ball to Barnes who nonetheless had lots to do however succeeded in firing the ball left-footed previous David de Gea from the sting of the realm.
It was nearly deserved provided that Vardy had looked harmful all through – with De Gea shedding the ball in his field at one level. Both groups had been a menace on the counter.
Leicester had been unchanged from the staff that beat Tottenham with Jamie Vardy being handed match to begin.
Manchester United made one change to the staff that beat Leeds with Eric Bailly coming in for Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer tried to break the impasse early within the second half by introducing Paul Pogba however it was one other substitute – Edinson Cavani – who arrange Fernandes to retake the lead.
His toe-poked cross broke the offside entice with Jonny Evans pushing out and Fernandes did the remainder by firing low past Schmeichel – who had saved splendidly nicely from Rashford simply earlier than – to seemingly earn the three factors for his facet.
But with little time left on the clock, Ayoze Perez emerged from the bench to cross for Leicester’s own talisman Vardy to assist ship the equaliser – his first-time end discovering the again of the online by way of the legs of Tuanzebe.
What the managers mentioned…
Brendan Rodgers: “I thought it was the very least we deserved. I thought it was a very good game, two attacking teams. We were unfortunate to go behind but got an equaliser that we deserved. I thought throughout the game we showed real quality and that we could compete at the level against a team that have won every game away from home.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: “The boys are flat in the dressing room, of course, because we did create enough chances in the game to score more goals. I thought we defended well but then they had that one moment at the end. Great movement by Vardy and then he got lucky when it hit Axel and deflected. You cannot switch off against quality players.”
Man of the Match – Bruno Fernandes
This was not Fernandes’ most spectacular of performances by any stretch of the creativeness however in each sense that mattered he was nonetheless the person of the match. It was his cross that created the sport’s first clear alternative, squandered by Rashford, and it was he who offered the help for a similar participant to open the scoring quickly after.
It was Fernandes who then gave the ball away on the sting of his own space within the build-up to Leicester’s equaliser and his afternoon took one other flip for the more severe when he was booked for a foul on Evans simply earlier than half-time.
It appeared unattainable to maintain Fernandes out of the sport and he looked to have won it for United when ending expertly past Schmeichel within the 79th minute. This time United couldn’t maintain on however it is clear that, in Fernandes, they have a participant with an uncommon capability to make issues occur.
“He is definitely a player who impacts results,” mentioned Solskjaer. “He creates chances, scores goals and takes risks – which any Manchester United player should be allowed to do and be brave enough to do. He is definitely a brave boy. He sees the pass.
“Sometimes I’d tear my hair out and say that there’s a neater cross to the appropriate or to the left or again however you can’t take that away from Bruno. You need him to be the x-factor who has gamers forward of him making runs so I’m very happy along with his affect this season and this 12 months. He is at all times there supporting his team-mates as nicely.”
- Manchester United are unbeaten of their final 14 away Premier League video games (W11 D3) – their longest such run since January 2011 (16 video games).
- Leicester City have conceded 191 top-flight objectives towards Manchester United – solely versus Arsenal (206) have they shipped extra.
- Manchester United are the primary facet to rating 2+ objectives in 11 consecutive top-flight away video games since United did so themselves in March 1959 (13 video games).
- Aged 23 years and 56 days, Marcus Rashford is the third-youngest Manchester United participant to attain 50 Premier League objectives after Wayne Rooney (22 years 157 days) and Cristiano Ronaldo (22 years 341 days).
- Bruno Fernandes has been instantly concerned in over half of Manchester United’s Premier League objectives since his debut (31/60), scoring 18 and helping an additional 13.
- Leicester supervisor Brendan Rodgers has failed to win 10 of his 12 Premier League encounters with Man Utd within the Premier League as a supervisor (W2 D1 L9).
- Man Utd’s Edinson Cavani has 5 goal involvements in its place within the Premier League this season (three objectives and two assists), two greater than every other participant.
- Leicester City’s Harvey Barnes has scored seven objectives in 20 video games in all competitions, equalling his tally from the 2019-20 marketing campaign for the Foxes (7 in 42 apps).
It is a fast turnaround for Leicester as a result of they’re again in Premier League motion towards Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Monday.
Manchester United have a little bit longer to put together for his or her subsequent sport as they host Wolves at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.
Win £1,000,000 without spending a dime with Super 6!
The £1,000,000 returns for Boxing Day. Enter your predictions without spending a dime and you possibly can turn out to be a millionaire!