Manchester United ahead Anthony Martial is a doubt for Sunday’s Premier League opener towards Brighton but with Cristiano Ronaldo’s future nonetheless unclear, who should start in assault for Erik ten Hag’s aspect?
Ten Hag has been handed a setback with the information that Martial might miss the Dutchman’s first aggressive recreation in cost towards the Seagulls this weekend, live on Sky Sports.
The France worldwide was seen holding his leg after being substituted in Saturday’s 1-0 pleasant defeat by Atletico Madrid in Oslo and now faces additional exams to find out the extent of the harm.
Ronaldo is Martial’s apparent alternative to guide the road but along with his future at Old Trafford removed from sure, will Ten Hag wish to start a participant who needs to depart the membership and has managed simply 45 minutes of pre-season motion?
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sunday seventh August 1:00pm
Kick off 2:00pm
- Ronaldo’s Old Trafford exit ‘unacceptable’, says Ten Hag
- How can Ten Hag maintain Ronaldo completely happy at Man Utd?
- Will Sancho thrive below Ten Hag?
- Download the Sky Sports App | Get Sky Sports
Erik ten Hag has most well-liked a entrance three of Antony Martial, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford throughout pre-season
Is Martial now forward of Ronaldo?
After lacking United’s pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia as a consequence of household causes, Ronaldo’s place within the aspect was seized upon by the returning Martial following a disappointing mortgage spell in Spain with Sevilla.
- Transfer Centre LIVE! De Jong, Sesko, Cucurella newest and extra
- Papers: Corinthians provide Ronaldo escape | Fofana to price Chelsea £85m
- PL Predictions: Nothing for Arsenal on the field as Palace take all of it
- Premier League transfers: Club by membership
- Fantasy Premier League: Essential ideas from specialists forward of GW1
- What now for F1 ‘foolish season’? Piastri fiasco sparks Alpine vs McLaren
- ‘This is my residence’ – Azpilicueta indicators new two-year Chelsea deal
- Martial a doubt but should Ronaldo start? Pick your Man Utd XI vs Brighton
- Man Utd maintain talks with Red Bull Salzburg over Sesko
- Is it lastly Saliba’s time at Arsenal?
His days at United seemed numbered but the 26-year-old impressed in pre-season, scoring thrice and helping as soon as as he made a robust case to start the brand new marketing campaign as Ten Hag’s primary central attacker.
Ronaldo was United’s prime scorer final time period with 23 targets but having solely featured for the primary time in a 1-1 draw with Rayo Vallecano on Sunday, it seemed probably Martial would proceed to spearhead Ten Hag’s ahead line.
Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher talk about Cristiano Ronaldo’s state of affairs at Manchester United on The Overlap’s Live Fan Debate – which is offered now on YouTube
- Play Fantasy Premier League right here
- Join the official SSN league utilizing code: e7ft7m
What are Ten Hag’s different choices?
Throughout nearly all of the summer season, Ten Hag has most well-liked a entrance three of Martial, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford. Should he determine to not start Ronaldo, one potential possibility is enjoying Rashford by means of the center and bringing Anthony Elanga – who began in friendlies towards Melbourne Victory and Atletico Madrid – into one of many large positions.
The United boss might additionally select to make use of some much less skilled gamers in his first-team squad should he determine to be a little extra experimental.
Tahith Chong and Alejandro Garnacho each began within the draw towards Rayo Vallecano. Amad Diallo, who lately hung out on mortgage at Rangers, scored in that recreation and is one other potential possibility Ten Hag might name upon. Facundo Pellistri, who twisted his ankle towards Atletico Madrid but later mentioned he felt “fine”, is one other.
Will Sancho thrive below Ten Hag?
Jadon Sancho struggled to live as much as expectations following his £73m arrival at Man Utd final season but might Cristiano Ronaldo's potential absence assist him shine?
- Man Utd maintain talks with Red Bull Salzburg over Sesko
- Transfer Centre LIVE! | Paper Talk
- Done offers | Premier League ins and outs
- Man Utd switch rumours
What about the remainder of the staff?
Luke Shaw was pictured in coaching on Wednesday after lacking each the Atletico Madrid and Rayo Vallecano video games final weekend, whereas fellow left-back and new signing Tyrell Malacia began towards the previous so might make his aggressive debut.
Sancho missed final weekend’s video games as a consequence of sickness but it’s hoped he’ll get better in time to face Brighton, whereas Scott McTominay managed 69 minutes towards Atletico in Norway after getting back from harm.
Another of United’s summer season signings Lisandro Martinez performed an hour towards Rayo Vallecano, but captain Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof have been Ten Hag’s most well-liked pairing throughout pre-season so Sunday’s recreation might have arrived too quickly for the Argentine.
Christian Eriksen was a second-half substitute towards Atletico – enjoying the ultimate 21 minutes – earlier than that includes for an hour towards Rayo Vallecano the next day.
Pick your Man Utd XI to play Brighton
So how should Manchester United line up towards Brighton on Sunday? Pick your formation and beginning XI beneath…
The new Premier League season with Sky Sports
- 128 completely live Premier League matches.
- First choose of matches for each weekend of the Premier League season.
- The greatest punditry staff in soccer together with Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Micah Richards and Roy Keane.
- Kelly Cates and David Jones will current our live protection throughout Friday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game targets and clips for cell units from Sky Sports live matches.
- Extended highlights On Demand and our Premier League channel.
- Sky Sports is your final vacation spot for home soccer with live protection of the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premiership and the Women’s Super League.
- Find out extra about Sky Sports
WIN £1,000,000 WITH SUPER 6!
Super 6 is again, larger and higher than ever with a ONE MILLION POUND jackpot. Play for free.